Saturday 7 April 2007

Easter Cupcakes


Prepared these cupcakes today for Easter Sunday dinner tomorrow. In addition to our immediate family, I am expecting my mom, brother Scott, nephews Jordan and Cam & Krissy (Jordan's girlfriend) and Krissy's friend, Jennie to join us. The cupcakes are lemon, with a yummy lemon butter icing, topped with colorful spinkles, coconut and little chocolate eggs.

Choir rehearsal this morning went well - Rachel and Tyler totally spoiled the choir. Tyler was up at 7am to bake muffins for everyone. They also brought bottled water for everyone (important in a 2 hour practice!). After rehearsal Rachel announced that we were to proceed to the coffee bar to celebrate recent choir members' birthdays.

At the start of the year, Rachel asked all the choir members to fill out a "choir appreciation form". There were a lot of questions to answer, and two of them included the date of our birthday and our favorite cake. She then celebrated birthdays monthly, bringing in the preferred type of cake for those celebrating a birthday that month. Today's birthday cakes included black forest, cheesecake, angel food, berries & whip cream, and brownies!

The funny thing is Rachel was never much interested in baking or cooking when she lived at home but now that she's married, she is turning into quite the cook and baker! She called me yesterday to ask what was meant by "2 sticks" of butter .... she was obviously following an American recipe!

I can't help but swell with pride watching how capably she directs the choir whilst demonstrating genuine love, encouragement and concern for each member. Tomorrow will be doubly special for me - in addition to sharing my choir experience with Rachel, Tyler and Lyden, Rachel assigned a soprano duet part to me for one of our songs (note I did not volunteer), so I'll be stepping outside my comfort zone yet again!

No comments: