Tuesday 31 July 2007

Love Letters


A week or so ago, Andy and I pulled out an old trunk tucked away in the corner of our garage for years and were amazed to see what "goodies" we had put into archive - amongst the goodies were shoe boxes filled with love letters.
I have spent a few hours over these past few days reading through but a few of the 100+ love letters we exchanged in 1978 & 1979.
Being the scrapbooker/family archivist that I am, I quickly took to altering a tin lunchbox to hold a sampling of the love letters which seems very appropriate as we will soon be celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary on August 11.
Many doubted our love would last and who could blame them? I met Andy during the latter part of his posting to Canada with the British Military. Our first date was Feb. 9, 1978; he returned to England on April 6th, 1978 and I knew I'd marry him. These letters were the lifeblood of our relationship - there was no email or instant messaging in those days and overseas phone calls were very expensive - $2.50 a min. (very expensive by comparison to the wages earned in 1978; ie: found a reference in one of my letters to him about Woolco's $1.44 Days it was possible to buy 5 pr of pantyhose for $1.44). Needless to say, phone calls were few & far between. It was 4 months and 100's of letters later until we were reunited. The odds were certainly against us ... but love truly conquers all!

No comments: