Wednesday 21 March 2007

Layout: Happy Birthday to me!


Ali Edwards, a fellow "life artist" has inspired and encouraged me (and leagues of other scrapbookers) to get out from behind the camera and ensure my scrapbook albums include layouts about ME ... it's all too common to focus on our family, on their accomplishments, and family holidays (where moms are often missing in the photos). I often do not like photos of myself, a common theme I hear expressed by many women ... but the reality is, it's not how I see myself that's important, it's the way my family sees and knows me - that's what's truly important.

My scrapbooks will be a legacy I leave behind for my family, and generations to come. My children will look back through these family scrapbook albums and remember me the way they saw me, and that's what's important. My great-great grandchildren will learn about me, my life and my family's lives "way back when". They will understand our family heritage, traditions and the values our family holds dear, and who knows? They may even glean a little understanding of our crazy, wacky ways! If I waited for what I felt was the "perfect" photo of me, my scrapbook albums would be incomplete. So I have decided to include more photos of myself and journalling about who I am right now, as captured in photos, warts and all ... and that's ok.

No comments: