Wednesday 21 March 2007

First full day of spring, Calgary 2007



March 21, the first "full" day of spring, although you wouldn't believe that waking up to snow flurries, -4 degrees celsius. What a miserable commute to work this morning! Snowflakes were huge, almost furiously falling from the sky. It was snowing much more in the south of the city and as I approached downtown the size of the flakes diminished & the speed by which they fell from the sky slowed a bit - but this is typical "spring" like weather in Calgary - it changes on a dime. Driving home the streets were dry, high of 11 today.

The first day of spring is also memorable for Lyden and I ... he took the car to work and in his haste not to be late, left the car lights on. He called me shortly after 8pm to advise that he had done so and that the car battery was dead. Of course things like this seem to always happen when Andy is out of town ... so I found the spare key to Andy's truck and headed over to the Sobey's parking lot at 9:30pm when Lyden got off work to boost the car. I pulled up to the car, released the hood and then Lyden and I each tried to free the secondary latch to fully open the hood, for what seemed like an eternity! We referred to the owner's manual - but that didn't help so I called Andy (who's in Coleman, Alberta filming) to ask him if there was any special tips he could give. No, there weren't: "just feel for the latch, press it and pull up on the hood" -sounds easy, right? it wasn't. After Lyden and I took 10 more attempts each, Lyden waved over a co-worker who seemingly didn't understand what our problem was, for he opened it up with not much difficulty at all. So what gives?! My theory: Lyden's co-worker was taller than Lyden so I'm calling a "height advantage" on this one ... somehow being taller helped to increase the amount of pressure he could exert when lifting the hood?? Once the hood was fully open, we had the car boosted and were on our way ... now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the short drive home was enough to recharge the battery & the car will start in the morning!!

No comments: