Thursday 16 December 2010

Mmmm.... Butter Tarts

My mom and I made butter tarts today: 53 of them, to be precise. I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't love a butter tart, have you? Butter tarts are the quintessential Canadian dessert. In fact, as Canadian writer and icon Peter Gzowski said: “They're part of who we are.” From the research I've done, the butter tart's history traces back to the arrival of the filles de marier (marriageable girls) who emigrated from France to Canada in the mid-1600s. The imported brides had to improvise with whatever they could find, ie: maple syrup or sugar, farm-fresh butter and raisins. Butter tarts soon became a staple of pioneer Canadian cooking, and they remain to be identified as a Canadian pastry. In fact, did you know the butter tart is considered one of only a few recipes of genuinely Canadian origin?


P.S. My mom brought these tart liners over today. Because I am not a big pastry person (my mom mixed this batch of pastry up from scratch), I had no idea these liners existed ... but I can tell you they make for easy clean up!! Just line them up on a cookie sheet and away you go!

No comments: