Monday 29 November 2010

Singin' the sling blues...


ok, it's been a week since I had my arthroscopic shoulder surgery ... a week to adjust to not having the use of my right arm, a week of wearing the "Slingshot 2" and immobilizer 24/7. The only time it comes off is to shower, or when I do my exercises. The sad news is I have 5 more weeks of sling wearing until it can be banished!

A week is sufficient time to compile a Top 10 list of the things I hate about wearing a sling 24/7:



1. I can't pick up & cuddle my grandbaby Brynne (even when she comes home at Christmas);


2. keyboarding with one hand (it's slow and tedious);


3. sleeping on my back;


4. not being able to use 2 hands to wash my hair in the shower;


5. not being able to style my hair without assistance (Andy holds the hair dryer, I work the round brush with my able hand);


6. not being able to use a knife to: spread butter, cut my food, chop veggies;


7. not being able to drive;


8. wearing only button up shirts (of which I only own 3);


9. not being able to do anything crafty (scrapbooking, sewing, card making, or playing with photoshop) or decorate the house for Christmas; and


10. not being able to cook or bake anything that requires separating eggs, peeling, use of a can opener, rolling pin, or scraping of any kind. No rolled & decorated Christmas cookies this year!



*sigh* ... I have been trying really hard to make peace with this sling ...

to S-L-O-W down. Who knows? I may even read the book "In Praise of Slow" Rachel read this summer, and left with me to read. It still sits on my bedside table. Looks as though I'll have the time to read it now!

No comments: