Wednesday 19 August 2009

Day #s 3, 4 & 5 - Dublin, Ireland - Aug 14, 15 & 16/09

Local man playing the spoons:

Bank of Ireland:

A view of Dublin Castle:

We left Kilkenny just after noon, and drove to Dublin where we spent 2 nights. Unfortunately the stiff neck I had arriving in Ireland on Wednesday progressively got worse with each day, with increasing pain, bringing back memories of when I experienced whiplash 15 years ago. The simple task of sitting in the car became a chore as every little bump, jostle or turn on our way to Dublin, exacerbated the pain in my neck. Andy and I decided to make it an early night Friday evening, and ordered in pizza for dinner. I looked up physiotherapy clinics and found a clinic in the Temple Bar area open on Saturday. I was so pleased to get an appointment at The Physiotherapy Clinic the following day and my whiplash suspicions were confirmed. The physiotherapist explained to me that it was probably a combination of 3 small things, which on their own, would cause no issue, but in combination, all occurring over a short period of time, compounded the stiff neck, escalating it to whiplash. Alva, my physiotherapist gave me a thorough assessment, incorporating massage and trigger release therapy which helped a bit to ease the pain. While not an ideal situation, I was relieved to know what I was dealing with, and knew I would be able to take some muscle relaxants when I got home to Moreton. Incredibly, you cannot buy muscle relaxants over the counter in England and Ireland like you can back home in Canada.

No comments: